Sunday, February 10, 2008

A short video about the book

What a terrific start to Speed Weeks! Loved Saturday night's race and can't wait for qualifying today. I know I promised to tone down the blather about the book and focus more on racing, but I wanted to post a link to a video that the Washington Post's website made to accompany a book except that ran in today's (Sunday Feb. 10) paper.

I'm not too swift with links, so I hope this works. I also have no idea how long this link will be active. But here it is: (A quick word about credits. The video was put together by Jess Atkinson, and all the photos, which also appear from the book, were taken by Mark Sluder, a dear friend and current photographer with NASCAR Scene.)


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2008/02/08/VI2008020803158.html

Hope you enjoy. The excerpt that ran in today's paper doesn't appear on the book's website. It was culled from Chapter 6, which focuses on the rivalry/relationship between Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt. We chose this part mainly for two reasons: In remembrance of Earnhardt's victory in the 1998 Daytona 500, and because it includes a scene that takes place in DC, so I thought the paper's readers might enjoy that.

As for the today's qualifying, I'm not much for predictions, but I think one is in order. I say a Toyota wins the pole and that Toyota is fielded by Joe Gibbs Racing.

Am leaving for Daytona first thing Tuesday morning and can't wait. All the best,
Liz

1 comment:

drileyf said...

I ordered your book form my local bookstore this morning after listening to your interview with Joe Donahue and Julia Taylor in WAMC's Roundtable! I am relatively new to NASCAR Nation but love being the odd duck in my social network! I have a BS in Athletic Training and a BS in Public Health as well as an MS in Higher Education! I've worked at Universities all over the country and currently work in arts administration, operating a multifaceted arts program, including a highly respected professional theatre. In short, I currently function in the "live in your head, drama queen, snooty atmosphere of "the arts" and yeay baby, I'm a serious NASCAR fan! Speed Channel is a daily part of my life and I live for Sundays! I leave for the track on Wednesdays for the Sunday race and don't get back to work until the next Tuesday! I love researching all the technical terms, learning about he cars, listening to the pit the strategy, the officials, the drivers etc. I love the smell of the track, the noise, the heat and the cool breeze of the wind as the cars race by. I spent the first days of my honeymoon at New Hampshire International Speedway!

My friends are slowly coming along and I'm certain some of them are secretly tuning in on Sundays! A couple have even asked about coming along to the races this summer! Maybe this summer we'll hear a little "boogity, boogity, boogity" between the Shakespeare lines!

Can't wait to get the book and thanks for a great interview WAMC!